Applications are now available for Book Money!
To be considered for Alameda County Book Money Program, applicants must meet the following criteria:
1. Be a former dependent of Alameda County and was in a foster home, group home, or residential treatment program at age 16.
2. Eligible to receive assistance until your 21st Birthday.
3. Be enrolled in a college or vocational program accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC), whether or not you have received your high school diploma or GED.
The book money system has changed in order to provide more resources to all of our clients. Instead of basing the amount of money that you get on your GPA and amount of credits, we will pay for books and materials needed. We ask that along with your application you submit the list of books and/or supplies needed from a cart or website checkout on your college bookstore website. We still need 4-6 weeks to process the request.
You will need to complete a Book Money Appeal Form and go through an appeals process if any of the following apply to you:
- Your GPA from the previous semester is under a 2.0
- You dropped two or more of your classes during the previous semester
- You failed two or more of your classes during the previous semester
- You received an incomplete for two or more of your classes during the previous semester
- Withdrew from two or more of your classes during the previous semester
*Please note that if you are only taking one class and you drop, withdraw, or receive an incomplete in that class, you also must appeal.
Questions? Call the Worker of the Day at 510-667-7696