The ELEVATE Program is an opportunity for young adults to increase their professional skills through an internship with a local social enterprise, business, or nonprofit setting. Download Fact Sheet
ELEVATE provides participants with on-the-job experience, exposure to career possibilities, and time to reflect on personal short and long-term goals while building the self-awareness, networks, and skills needed to pursue those goals.
Hire an ELEVATE Participant: If your business would like to partner with B:E to host a future participant, please contact Caitlin Grey at 510-667-7627 or firstname.lastname@example.org or fill out this contact form. Learn more.
Through ELEVATE, we seek to:
- Place up to 15 transition age youth ages 18-24 in subsidized jobs leading to long term employment
- Implement a workforce development model that is informed by employer perspective/needs and based on coaching techniques and principles
- Provide employer-informed professional development and soft-skill training to increase job retention and success
Applying best practices from workforce development, youth development, and coaching research, the program design includes the following key elements:
- Twice-monthly professional development workshops tailored to practicing skills our employer partners have identified as critical to employee success
- Regular one-on-one coaching to empower participants to determine their own personal and professional paths
- Scaffolded work experience that meets participants where they are, and pushes them to achieve even more
- Wraparound support for each participant to address their basic needs, such as housing, childcare, and transportation
ELEVATE is currently funded by Oakland Unite.
With generous funding from REDF in 2015, B:E partnered with four Oakland-based social enterprises to launch the program: Mamacita’s Cafe, The Town Kitchen, Mandela Foods Co-Op, and Mandela Marketplace.